Crunchy, sweet and perfectly tender, these air fried shrimp fulfill all your cravings without the greasy guilt! Pulsing the coating in the food processor ensures that it will adhere and betters the texture of the crispy shrimp. The sauce adds a sweet and spicy element that takes this delectable recipe over-the-top!
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 pound large (U-15 sized) peeled and deveined shrimp, tails left on
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Spicy Apricot Sauce
1 cup apricot jam
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Combine the shredded coconut and Panko breadcrumbs in your food processor and pulse a few times, just to breakdown the mixture slightly. Pour the breadcrumb mixture into a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Place the coconut milk in a shallow bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the shrimp in the coconut milk and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the shrimp, a few at a time, from the coconut milk and place them in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat well.
4. Transfer the shrimp to the basket of your air fryer, in a single layer, and spray the shrimp all over with olive oil cooking spray. Air fry at 380ºF for 4 minutes, then spray the shrimp again with the olive oil cooking spray and cook at 380ºF for 3 to 4 minutes longer, depending upon the size of the shrimp.
5. To make the spicy apricot sauce, combine the apricot jam, soy sauce and lemon juice in a small saucepot. Bring to a simmer, whisk to combine and remove from the heat.
6. Serve the crispy shrimp with the sauce, for dipping.
Chef’s Tip: Shrimp sizes are measured by how many shrimp compose a pound, so this recipe calls for U-15’s or reasonably large shrimp; about 15 shrimp will make up a pound. Use the best quality shrimp you can find and adjust the cooking time accordingly.