NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
A great dinner standby, this rich, delicious chowder is made in the slow cooker, the perfect comfort food and it’s chock-full of bacon!
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
One 8-ounce bottle clam juice
2 cups half-and-half
Two 10-ounce cans whole baby clams, drained
2 cups corn kernels
Dash of hot sauce
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Sauté the bacon in your Kalorik Slow Cooker using the sear function. When crisp, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onions to the bacon grease and sauté until tender using the sear function, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, garlic and thyme and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, clam juice and half & half and stir to combine.
3. Cover and cook the chowder on high for 4 hours.
4. To finish the chowder, add half of the bacon back to the chowder along with the clams and the corn. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour more. Season with hot sauce, salt and pepper.
5. Serve the chowder with crispy bacon on top.
Leave a comment