Butter or olive oil spray
Seeds of 1 vanilla pod (halved lengthwise to scrape out seeds)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup cream
10-½ ounces brioche bread, cubed
Seasonal fruit, for topping (i.e. peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
Powdered sugar or maple syrup
1. Preheat conventional oven to 300°F.
2. Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan with butter or olive oil spray.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, milk and cream together with the vanilla bean seeds. Add brioche and soak several minutes.
4. Pour bread mixture into smaller 8 x 8-inch pan. Then, fill a separate larger pan halfway with water to create a hot water bath for the bread pudding to cook in. Place the smaller pan into the larger pan with the water, and bake for 75 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
5. Once sufficiently cooled down, cut into thick pieces.
6. Preheat grill to the lowest temperature. Place bread pudding pieces on grate positioned in the middle of grill. Cook approximately 30 seconds. Flip, then cook 30 seconds more.
7. Cut fruit and place on top of the bread pudding pieces. Set the grill to 1500°F and place bread pudding pieces on grate positioned closest to the top of the grill. Cook until desired caramelization is achieved, taking care not to over-toast bread slices. Top with powdered sugar or maple syrup.