This Middle Eastern eggplant dip is full of smoky, wonderful flavor and creamy, luscious texture. Now you can make it in half the time thanks to your air fryer.
2 extra large Eggplant (about 1-pound each)
2 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons tahini paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Using an open gas flame or your BBQ, char the exterior of the whole eggplants all over, to create smoky flavor. Let cool.
2. Cut each eggplant in half horizontally and drizzle the cut side with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the eggplant halves, cut side up, in the basket of your air fryer and air fry at 400ºF for 15 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the air fryer and let cool.
4. Place the garlic cloves in your food processor and pulse until minced. Peel the charred skin off the eggplant flesh and add the flesh to the garlic in the food processor along with the tahini, lemon juice and cumin. Pulse to combine, creating a creamy texture that still retains its texture (do not over-blend). Season with salt and pepper and pulse again to combine.
5. Spoon the baba ganoush into a shallow serving bowl, make a circular well with the back of a spoon and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with your choice zaatar spice, sumac or smoked paprika. Serve with warm pita bread.