Want to hear a baking secret? Whether you're baking at home or waiting for your chance on The Great British Baking Show, every baker loves using box cake mix. We have a few tips and tricks up our sleeve to take your plain cake mix to the next level, and dare we say it, even taste like you used homemade cake batter.
1. Use Room Temperature Ingredients
Baking tip #1: make sure you are always baking with room-temperature ingredients. The temperature of your ingredients impacts the structure of your baked goods. Always aim to use room-temperature ingredients, around 70 degrees. Using your Mad Hungry Spurtle Set, sift and stir your eggs, fats, and liquids, to achieve that velvety batter we all know and love.
2. Replace Water with Milk or Buttermilk
Baking tip #2: adding milk to your box cake mix in place of water adds a dense texture to your dessert leaving it moist and flavorful like a homemade cake. Or, if you prefer, you can add buttermilk, giving your cake a tangy flavor to balance out the sweetness.
3. Substitute Sour Cream in the Mix
Baking tip #3: don't share this trick with anyone! The secret ingredient to making a moist cake is sour cream! That's right. Similar to milk, adding ½ cup of sour cream packs flavor into your box cake mix. It may sound a little crazy, but for the best results, use a full-fat sour cream... because calories don't count when you're enjoying homemade dessert, right?
4. Substitute Oil for Butter
Baking tip #4: substitute oil for softened butter in your box cake recipe to give your cake a richer taste. Another spin on this baking trick is to add two tablespoons of mayonnaise. Yes, mayonnaise, giving your cake the taste of pure decadence.
5. Use More Eggs
Baking tip #5: this is an egg-cellent trick! Use your Mad Hungry Slotted Spurtle to separate a few extra egg yolks into your box cake mix. Adding extra eggs when baking a cake brings out a lighter and richer flavor, making your dessert even more delicious!
6. Add Vanilla Extract
Baking tip #6: Adding a touch of vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon to be exact, is all it takes to make your box cake taste better, even homemade. Using authentic vanilla permeates your cake, leaving the essence of vanilla in every bite.
7. Make It a Chocolate Lovers' Cake
Baking tip #7: it's simple to bake a decadent and delicious chocolate cake using a box cake mix. Instead of using 1 cup of flour, mix ¾ cup of flour with ¼ cup of cocoa powder, bringing this delicious chocolate lover's chocolate cake recipe to life. If you don't want to use cocoa powder, simply add strong, freshly-brewed coffee instead of water, adding depth and a bittersweet flavor of your cake.
8. Decorate Your Cake Like A Pro
Baking tip #8: don't be afraid to load up on frosting, there's no such thing as too much! Use your Mad Hungry Spreader Spurtle to frost your cake in even layers. Homemade buttercream frosting is always a great choice for a five-star finish. Decorate your cake like a pro with chocolate chips, fruits or nuts. Make it a funfetti cake by simply adding sprinkles, or even add a little pudding to your cake to set it apart from the others!
Lastly, bake your cake in the Kalorik MAXX Air Fryer Oven. For the best results, follow these helpful hints:
- Preheat your MAXX before baking
- Use the BAKE 2 setting instead of BAKE 1.
- Always add an extra 10 minutes to your timer when baking. Avoid opening the door when your cake is baking. Instead, use the oven light to check on your cake.
- Rotate your cake half way through the cook time.
- Insert a toothpick to determine whether your cake is done baking. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready!
- Use your air rack as a cooling rack for baked goods; the feet will hold the food off your countertop allowing air to circulate and cool your baked goods evenly.