APPLE PIE BAKED APPLES
They’re everything you love about apple pie; cinnamon-infused warm apples with a buttery crust, but way easier and much healthier! Use your air fryer to bake a few or many…and serve them with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream for added indulgence.
1 recipe homemade pie crust or 1 package refrigerated pie crust
4 large Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1. On a floured work surface, roll out the homemade pie dough into two 1/4-inch thick and 10-inch round in diameter rounds, or unroll the store-bought pie dough rounds.
2. Cut each circle of dough into quarters, then cut each quarter into 1/4-inch wide strips. You will need 6 short strips of dough for each apple. Refrigerate the pie dough strips until ready to use.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the chopped pecans, raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon.
4. Cut the tops off each apple and use a corer or a spoon to dig out the core and seeds. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pecan filling into the core of each apple, pressing the mixture in tightly.
5. Lay 3 strips of the pie dough on top of one apple, then lay three more strips in the opposite direction. Working with one strip at a time, alternate weaving it over and under the bottom pieces of dough to form a basket weave patter. Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of dough on top. Use a sharp knife to trim the excess pie dough around the edge of the apple. Repeat with the remaining 3 apples.
6. Place the apples in a baking dish that fits in your air fryer and brush the pie dough with the heavy cream and sprinkle a bit of granulated sugar over top.
7. Air fry at 350ºF for 10 minutes, carefully rotate the pan for even cooking and air fry at 340ºF for 10 minutes more.
8. Serve warm, drizzled with caramel sauce.
Leave a comment